How can a naturopath help with depression?
Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), depression affects about 350 million people. Untreated depression can lead to suicide, and the WHO estimates that 1 million people worldwide commit suicide every year. Their estimates project that depression will rise to second place in the global burden of disease listing by the end of 2020. Naturopathic medicine is based on the philosophy of addressing the basic underlying cause of any health condition. Proper nutrition is a foundational component of any natural medicine program. Nutrition affects mood through the many substrates and nutrients needed for proper neurotransmitter synthesis and function. If you are looking for information about how a naturopath can help with depression, then you have come to the right place at NEX Wellness. In this blog, we share some information about this.
Treatment for depression by a Naturopath
At NEX Wellness, the goals of treatment for depression are to improve mood, reduce other related symptoms, manage side effects of conventional depression medications, and determine triggers of depression in order to prevent recurrence of depressive episodes. Conventional treatment for depression may include psychotherapy and a variety of antidepressant medications. These treatments may have short- or long-term side effects. For this reason, you may choose to try natural treatment to possibly avoid the use of conventional medications, or together with conventional medications in order to decrease the dosages of conventional medications required to manage your depression symptoms. Naturopathic treatment of any chronic health concern must be recognized as a process that involves:
- Identifying specific treatment goals
- Development by your naturopathic doctor, of a thorough understanding of all factors affecting your health, including physical, psychological, emotional and lifestyle factors
- Development of a comprehensive treatment plan
- Implementation and maintenance of that plan through periodic monitoring and adjustment
Our approach with depression at NEX Wellness…
At NEX Wellness, a typical approach to treating depression may be to:
- Identify and address underlying factors in your lifestyle (e.g., stress, long-term use of certain medications, substance abuse, general perspective) or general health (e.g., illnesses that have depression as a component, other illnesses that may be adding stress to your life) that may be contributing to your depression symptoms
- Improve ability to cope with stressors using relaxation (meditation) training
- Correct brain chemistry factors using botanical (herbal) medicines
If you or someone you love is suffering from depression, and you are looking for natural intervention, then NEX Wellness is the place to be. We encourage you to continue browsing through our website for more information about our services.
Click here to find our contact information, schedule an appointment, or to speak with a representative.
Leave a reply →